Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Black Bean Burgers & Atlanta Underground Market

OK, first...the recipe. I have about 10 different black bean burger recipes saved on my computer. I LOVE black beans and I've been wanting to make some burgers for the longest time. I guess I've just been too lazy in the past...not sure. But I finally decided to make some. I looked online to see if I could find a good recipe and really the one that sounded the best and looked the easiest was from Sandra Lee. However, I changed it up quite a bit so I'm not posting her recipe, I'm posting mine. But again, my recipe is based loosely on hers.
Tracy is my name, photography AIN'T my game. Took this with my phone. Anyway, you can't really see the burger but it's there under the cheese. I only used half a bun because the burger was huge and the bun was too. I didn't want all that bread so it's an open-faced black bean burger. (better IMO anyway). There is a piece of lettuce under the burger too, although you can't really see it because of that ridiculously huge burger. I topped it with Trader Joe's pineapple salsa (freaking yum) and of course Frank's Red Hot Sauce. I put that sh*t on everything. LOL. Had a little bit of this new grilled corn and vidalia onion salad from Whole Foods on the side. I think it's one of my new fave's. SO GOOD. Here's the recipe for the burgers:

2 15oz cans of black beans


1/2 purple onion, finely diced


1 large garlic clove, finely diced


1 egg (I used Ener-G egg replacer cause eggs are grody)


1/2 cup bread crumbs


Cilantro to taste


Parsley to taste


Salt & Pepper to taste


Red pepper flakes to taste, optional





Place one can of beans, onion, garlic, the egg, cilantro, parsley and red pepper flakes in a food processor. Pulse into an ALMOST smooth puree. Transfer to a medium bowl and add in the remaining can of beans and the bread crumbs. Mix well incorporating bread crumbs throughout bread mixture.


Heat a grill or grill pan on medium heat with oil or cooking spray. Grill burgers about 5-6 minutes or until warmed through. MUNCH!
(If you're using a real egg, don't make the burgers too thick. You want to make sure that egg cooks all the way through...unless you're Rocky Balboa and like raw eggs.)


On another note, this past Saturday a friend and I went to the Atlanta Underground Market. I've been wanting to go for awhile now but since I've become an AUM VIP, I've been busy for the last two they had. The Atlanta Underground Market is an event where local chefs or bakers come out and allow people to sample their food. It was so much fun and I had tons of great food. In fact, I was Thanksgiving-dinner-full when I left. It was held at The Goat Farm in downtown. What? You didn't know there was a goat farm in downtown Atlanta? Yeah, me either.


So cute. It was quite a walk from the car to the actual location of the market. (They change it every time they have it.) On the walk, after we passed the goats we passed the Fresh Roots farm. They have roosters and pigs and dogs, oh my! They grow organic vegetables and even have a CSA program that they just started. I might have to look into that. I've been wanting to join one. Hmmm...ok, moving on!


I would like to post a picture of everything that I tried there but unfortunately my camera has been acting up lately and some of my pictures are coming out all screwy. Guess that means I'll have to buy a new one! Darn. ;) I did get a few pictures though.


This is Jer'vay's Catering (mouthwatering) Apple and Cheddar stuffed Zeppoles:


Joanne's Kitchen had homemade Ravioli stuffed with spinach and feta served with Tzatziki sauce. This isn't the prettiest picture ever but I think it was the best thing I ate that day. It was delicious!On to the sweets! I had a Lemon Thyme mini cupcake with strawberry icing from Dr. Sweets Cake Emporium. All of their goodies are gluten free & nut free. It was delicious...I almost went back for seconds....ALMOST.


Last but not least, I tried cake balls for the first time...FINALLY. Cake Balls by Nikki. I bought three. I got Red Velvet, Key Lime Pie and Chocolate Peanut Butter. I think the Chocolate Peanut Butter was my favorite but the Key Lime Pie almost tied with it. Here's Nikki fanning herself. LOL. It was so dang hot in that place!
What's funny is I'm not really a big sweets person...but after working on this post I realized most of everything I ate that day was all desserts!! Oh well. It was all worth it. I'm already looking forward to the next Atlanta Underground Market.


Night night peeps!















































1 comment:

  1. Shit had this all typed out and it disappeared...let me try again!
    Ok will totally try this recipe sounds delish...your comment about "Tracy is my name and photography ain't my game" made me LOL...and something about the words "cake" and "balls" together makes me laugh...pervy I know!

    ReplyDelete