Monday, January 31, 2011

Low calorie pasta? Yes please!


Oh. My. Yum.
So I've been subscribed to this newsletter for about 3 years now. It's the Hungry Girl newsletter. I have several of her books and I used to make a lot of things from them. But since I've recently gotten off the processed foods band wagon, I don't make as much of her stuff. Yes, she does show how to make a lot of your favorite foods low fat. But she uses a lot of processed foods to do it. I still love her though and I'm still a fan! (and no, it's not even a vegetarian newsletter. But if you're a good cook, you know how to fix that.) :)

Anyway, she also has a new show on The Cooking Channel. I was watching it earlier and she made a dish that I had seen in her newsletter before but never really thought to try until I saw her making it. It was SOOOOOOOOO good!

It's a pasta marinara dish basically. But there is no pasta involved. Hmmm....curious? You can find the recipe here.
She always has such creative names for her recipes. This one was called Slaw and Order. LOL. It uses Broccoli slaw and tomato soup. I know it sounds weird but it was SO good. AND...the ENTIRE dish was only 180 calories (the way I made it). And believe me, it makes a lot and I probably only ate half of it. It was pretty filling.
The only things I changed were to saute the garlic with some onion for a few minutes in the pan before adding the "slaw". She uses Amy's Tomato Bisque as her soup. I used Imagine Organic Creamy Tomato, because I happened to have some in the fridge.
This picture isn't really pretty but what do you expect with broccoli slaw and tomato soup? Oh yeah, and I took it with my phone! I didn't have my camera ready because, honestly, I wasn't expecting it to taste SO good! But mmm...it tasted just like pasta!!
If you try it, let me know what you think.




4 comments:

  1. I will try this out.... I love broccoli slaw & tomato soup! I also want to try using spaghetti squash as a pasta replacement too.. Have you tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried spaghetti squash. It was pretty good too. I topped it with tomato sauce. But I think I like the broccoli slaw better. It was MUCH easier too...rip open the bag and dump it in the pan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT!? The one night I am gone and you cook something new!? Sounds interesting...did it really taste like pasta though??

    ReplyDelete
  4. It did to me. I mean it didn't have that starchy texture but aside from that...it tasted just like pasta!

    ReplyDelete