Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mc-what?

Wow...it's been forever since I last blogged. So my dad called me tonight and said, "Go to Yahoo and scroll down. Look on the right hand side and look for the link that says "What's in a Chicken McNugget"." (I never did find this link, by the way but obviously it's there because my dad would NOT have called me otherwise) He then proceeded to tell me all the ingredients, one of them being Plaster of Paris and another one being amonia which, if ingested can cause death. He asked me why that stuff would be in a McNugget. "Shouldn't it just be fried chicken?" Of course I told him that I knew this all along. I don't walk around telling people what's in the processed food they eat. The reason I don't tell people is because (and I've talked about this before in a previous post) a lot of people don't want to know. Why don't people want to know they are ingesting an ingredient that could cause death? I HAVE NO IDEA.

I know I'm a vegetarian. I'm desperately trying to be full on vegan but I will admit...it's hard. It's not hard because I crave dairy or fish or whatever. (ok maybe cheese every now and then. :) )It's hard because my friends want to order pizza or my family wants to go to a seafood restaurant. And I will admit, I'm not one of those vegetarians who says meat stinks when it's cooking. It doesn't. I haven't had meat in over 20 years. Therefore, I don't crave it. But when someone is grilling a steak outside or one of my non-veg friends or relatives is cooking bacon...it smells DAMN good! And for one split second I'll think, "well no one will ever know if I take one bite ". BUT...I still don't give in. As soon as that "smell-craving" goes away, I remember all the reasons why I'm a vegetarian. I won't even go into them.

But I just don't understand why people don't want to know, and get mad at me when I tell them, what's in their food!!! I mean...ok, fine. You want to eat organic, grass-fed meat? Go ahead. THAT...I can deal with. I know there are people that LIKE meat and they don't want to give it up. And I'm fine with that. But when someone tells you there are chemicals and non-food products and things that statically contribute to cancer and heart disease and a long ass list of other health problems...why the hell would you want to keep eating that?? I just don't understand.

It's very frustrating. I know people don't want to hear this. There are so many vegan blogs out there where I notice that the blogger never says anything about this. They just talk about what they eat every day. It's probably because they have given up trying to change peoples minds or their way of thinking. Well I'm still a new blogger. I just wish more people would pay attention to what's in their food for their own healths sake.

Anyway...I know not many people will see this. But it feels good getting my thoughts out there at any rate. Isn't that what blogs are for? :)

Good night peeps. For the record...my dad said, "I don't think I'll be eating McDonalds chicken anytime soon." Yay Dad!

3 comments:

  1. Oh no....mcnuggets are my go-to hangover cure!!! Guess I better find a new one!!! Grosssss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way :-) It is so surprising to me the things people eat as part of their daily diet. I think I've harped on it in my blog, but sometimes it's almost overwhelming to try to convince people of things they aren't open to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Ash! Didn't mean to gross you out. I still can't find that article anywhere online where it says that but I totally believe it.

    And yes Helen, it is overwhelming. I've pretty much given up trying to educate people on what they are eating. I was pretty happy that my dad was interested enough to read the article on his own. Maybe there is still hope for some of my family! :)

    ReplyDelete