Friday, August 13, 2010

Holy mother of all sweet potato dishes!!

Last night I decided it was CUBAN THURSDAY! Thursdays are usually champagne Thursdays but I was out so...I had to drink wine. Darn. :) I'm in love with Alicia Silverstone's book The Kind Diet and I've been making all sorts of yummy stuff from it.



I've been dying to make one of the recipes in particular...Cuban-Style Roasted Sweet Potatoes. I picked up some sweet potatoes from my local farmers market last weekend just so I could make it. While thinking about the potato recipe, I thought, hmm...what else can I make to go along with the Cuban theme? I had a can of black beans in the cabinet, a red onion and some AWESOME salsa, made right here in the ATL that I also got from the farmers market. I also had some collard greens, which really doesn't go with the theme but right then and there I knew I had my dinner planned. My roomie had a chicken breast in place of the greens but I did make her squeeze some lime juice on it to go with the Cuban theme.





Don't those sweet potatoes look freaking delicious? They were!! My roommate and I couldn't stop "mmm-ing" every time we took a bite. Here is the recipe:


3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 3 lbs)
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Heat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Place the sweet potatoes in a medium bowl, toss with 2 tbsp of the oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread the potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and roast until they can easily be pierced with a knife, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes or so.

Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl, and toss with the garlic, lime juice, parsley and remaining 2 tbsps of oil. (I used a little more lime juice than the recipe called for because I love lime and it totally made it for me.) Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.




Here's the recipe for the yummy beans:

1(15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
Purple onion, diced (use as much as you like)
1/3 cup of your favorite salsa

Saute the onions until soft. Put the beans in a saucepan and add the onions. Then add the salsa and stir. Just heat until warm. I sprinkled on some fresh cilantro right before I served it. If you're in Atlanta, go to your local farmers market and see if you can find Zocala Salsa. There are different flavors. My favorite and the one I used in this recipe is Mole Rojo. It's by far my new favorite salsa and it's spicy. (Ready for the cornball comment?) It's like a party on your tongue! Ok, I'll stop.



I had all that with my side of collard greens that I sauteed with some Olive oil and even threw in some red pepper flakes to make it go with the theme. Maybe next time I'll have a shot of tequila instead of wine with this dinner. Ick...ewww...no. I'll stick with the wine. :)

2 comments:

  1. yummmmmm - sweet potatoes look awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny - I made those a couple nights ago! I agree, they were totally delicious, weren't they?? Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog, btw. :-)

    ReplyDelete