Monday, August 2, 2010

Tracy's Fried Rice


So today I was at work and I was super busy. But as I was working I kept thinking about the container full of raw veggies I had in the fridge. I chopped up a bunch of veggies last weekend and I just haven't eaten much of them. There was broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumbers, carrots, and celery. I thought to myself, geez I need to do something with those veggies or they're going to go bad! So I started doing some internet research on what to do with leftover veggies. I came across a recipe for fried rice. I altered it a little bit..ok, I altered it A LOT. It's pretty much my own creation. But it was SO good that I had to post. I even gave myself a couple of pats on the back. My dog was looking at me like I was crazy while I was doing that by the way. Anyway...here's the recipe:


Tracy's Fried Rice


1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of finely diced veggies (I used red onion, broccoli, cauliflower, celery and carrots)
1 pkg Near East Long Grain & Wild Rice from Whole Foods
( I wanted to use brown rice but this is what I had on hand.)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable stock
2-3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
Salt & pepper


1. Cook the rice according to the package's directions. (1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 3/4 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Add the rice and the seasoning. Bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tender or water has boiled out.)

2. Chop up all the veggies really fine. Put 1-2 tbsp of oil in a skillet then add the veggies. Then add about 1/2 cup of vegetable stock. Cook on medium heat for about 5-6 minutes or until tender.

3. Cook the rice for about 20 minutes.

4. After adding the rice to the veggies, add about 2-3 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce and some fine sea salt and cracked pepper to taste.

5. Cover and let simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the rice is tender to your liking.

6. Serve & enjoy!


It was YUMMY. My roommate was upstairs and came down and said, "What the heck are you cooking? It smells delicious!" So I let her taste and she loved it. I'm not normally a big rice fan but I hadn't had any "grains" today so I figured I needed to get some in. :)


Hope you like it!

1 comment: